Monday, October 13, 2008

Have Miracles Ceased?



Three weeks ago yesterday I heard that my brother Joshua had been in a severe car accident hitting head on with a Semi, both of them traveling 65 miles an hour. I was told that he probably wouldn't make it. He had suffered so much bleeding to his brain that the only function he had left was pupil constriction in his eyes. We watched him lay there for hours and wondered if he was in there. We would hold his hand and it felt cold and swollen like his body had no life left in it. The doctor was reluctant in telling us about his condition. She said, "I never say a patient has zero percent chance"....but she let us know a recovery was not likely, however her gut feeling was to just wait. We thanked her for her honesty. Well we waited and waited and waited. Slowly we started noticing little things happening. First we noticed that he wiggled one of his fingers. We didn't know if it was a reflex or if it was him. The next day we heard that he wiggled fingers on both hands and toes on command. The news that day was fabulous. We started to have hope. We received so many phone calls and e-mails of people concerned and praying for Josh. The outpour of love was overwhelming. Each day we hear of something more he has done to improve. Now he can talk, write his name, wheel himself down the hall in a wheelchair, and he even stood up with help. He was planning on getting out of the hospital sometime this week and being transfered to the Nursing home in Montpelier until he was well enough to live in a treatment facility. We heard today that he is progressing so quickly that he doesn't need to go to the nursing home. He will stay in the rehab treatment center located in the hospital for a few more weeks and possibly go home after that if he is well enough. Our family has truely witnessed a miracle. I have no doubt in my mind that our Heavenly Father spared my brother's life for a reason. Medically speaking Josh had little to no chance of pulling thru this injury. Faith, prayers, fasting, and the will of a stubborn young man have aided in the Lords work of perfoming another miracle. He has two beautiful little boys who love and need him so much. Although this has been a very sad and difficult tragedy for our family to deal with, we can't help but recognize the tender mercies of the Lord each and every day. He has a long way to go, but it would be foolish to ignore the miracle that is taking place before our eyes. Please continue to pray for Josh as he progresses daily.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Tricia, what an awesome update! I wasn't expecting to hear that he is doing so well. Josh is definatly one of the strongest, most stubborn men I know, and I'm proud to call him my friend. Please let him know that I am thinking about him, and praying for him daily. Your family's strength is an inspiration, thank you for being an example to us all! Tracey Shelton

Sarah Lunt said...

OMG, I just can't believe this! What an amazing miracle! I'm SO glad you shared this with us. The Lord is really aware of each of us. We'll continue to keep you guys in our prayers.
Sarah

Cordie said...

Tricia
I love this post! You said everything so perfectly. It is so nice to see pictures of Josh. I can't believe the miracle that he is. We are so excited to see him at Christmas and you can tell him that.

wtw transport said...

We are happy to find out that Josh is alive. It was our understanding until now that he was not. Our driver who was in the truck has not been able to go back to work yet, and we are not sure he will. (He to is glad that Josh is recovering) Don't forget to remember our driver and his family as everbody fasts and prays. He too is a husband, father of sons, daughters & grandchildren that need him in their lives. He does not understand why Josh's vehicle came into his lane and why the horrific crashed that followed even happened. His life has been changed forever. He needs healing both physically, mentally, and spiritually. We as our family, pray for our drivers daily and we are glad that God is with us all. I sincerely hope everyone can heal from this devestaton. Our truck and trailers are replacable but the people in our lives are not. Our prayers go out to all involved J.D. Gibb owner of W.T.W transport

wtw transport said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heber and his "Deli" aka: Adele said...

We are so happy to see that Josh is recovering. I can't imagine the road he has ahead of him.....he has a great family to back him up though!

Breinholt Gang said...

Amazing. I can't believe this. It really really is a miracle. God must have something special set a side for Josh. I haven't seen him in years. He looks so much like your dad in that first picture. I'm so happy for your family. I'm glad that trials only make your stronger. This is amazing.

Tami said...

We are so happy he's improving. That is the best news!

Ryan Eborn said...

We are so happy that Josh is steadily recovering. He is one tough cookie! It is amazing what can be accomplished when we place our faith and trust in the Lord to make miracles happen in our lives. We love you guys.

April and Paul said...

Oh my gosh I had no idea Josh has made so much progress. It really is a miracle. How did it go with his boys? Have I invited you to my blog? If not send me your email aprilkunz@gmail.com.


take care all of you.

David and Kristi Gailey said...

I can't believe what you must be going through. I am so glad he is doing so well. I will pray for him to continue to do well. Take care.

The Teeples said...

Wow! What a testimony to the tender mercies that God does allow to happen. We will continue to pray for your brother and family as well as the driver of the Semi-Truck.
I can't believe that your little man is already 1 years old. That is amazing how fast the time has flown.
We miss you guys.

Lots of Love to you

Unknown said...

Hi, you don't know me, but I went to school with Josh, and I just want you to know that I have been praying for him and your whole family in this difficult time. I am glad he is doing so much better and gaining more strength as the days pass. I have been through tragedy with my brother before where we were told he probably wouldn't make it, but he did 100% and I know Josh will too. Hang in there.

Cheri J. Crane said...

Tricia, know our prayers have been and will continue to be with Josh, and your family. Josh is indeed a living miracle, proof that God is in charge.